DIY ways to keep your home and family safe this summer
Inspecting your home and completing monthly home improvement projects will keep your maintenance schedule on track and easier to manage. A comprehensive monthly home maintenance checklist is easy to implement, both in terms of time and money.
Here is a list of basic summer projects to keep you and your family safe this summer!
- Clean the furnace filter to remove dust build-ups, make it easier to regulate your home’s temperature, and ultimately decrease utility bills.
- Check the water softener and replenish salt if necessary.
- Clean faucet aerators and showerheads to remove mineral deposits.
- Inspect tub and sink drains for debris; unclog.
- Test smoke alarms, carbon monoxide detectors, fire extinguishers, and all ground-fault circuit interrupters. • Inspect electrical cords for wear.
- Vacuum heat registers and heat vents.
- Check that indoor and outdoor air vents are not blocked.
- Flush out hot water from the water heater to remove accumulated sediment.
- Clean the garbage disposal by grinding ice cubes, then flushing with hot water and baking soda.